Thursday, April 2, 2009

My Coke Rewards Site is Horrific

As anyone who knows me knows, I am an avid drinker of Diet Coke. I collect caps and enter my codes, and get my coupons. This site is loaded with every sort of web control and snazzy, jazzy do-dad you can think of, all rolled into one incredibly slow, hard to use, and difficult to access site. Today I received an "Error during the invocation of the business service". I am confident this is due to the "SOA" craze - Service Oriented Architecture. Unfortunately the business service seems unable to be invoked, and here I thought an invocation was for church. I wasn't sure if this should be a curmudgeon post or a regular post, so I put it here.
Here's the note I just sent them. We'll see if they call.


I am writing to express my EXTREME displeasure at the use of the mycokerewards.com web site. I have been a loyal diet coke drinker for about 15 years. I have entered many many codes, received coupons and free coke. Today I received a "Error during the invocation of the business service" each time I tried to enter my email and password. This is at least the 10th time I have tried to enter or redeem codes, only to have the site frustrate me. I have been a software developer for 25+ years and I can say that while the mycokerewards.com site may not necessarily be the worst site from a "time to load" "overall design" and "user experience" perspective, it is undoubtedly in the top 3 I have encountered. I cannot think of a worse site - although I suppose it is possible one exists. Thankfully your core business is coke and the product continues to be delicious. Should you like to discuss this with me - I would welcome the opportunity for a live discussion with the developers or development management team regarding human interface design and overuse of technology. It certainly seems like every possible thing that can be on a web site is on this web site. Too bad most of them don't work.

No comments: